Friday, October 17, 2008

"It's your age girl!"


In case any of you are wondering, kids have the ability to listen and retain information, even when they seem completely uninterested. Our son Tobias reminded me of this today . . .


A few days ago a few of members of the family were watching a DVD of President Gordon B. Hinkley's 95th birthday celebration. Tobias was in the room, but really did not appear to be paying any attention to the television at all. After several musical presentations President Hinkley stood up to speak, the first thing he spoke of was his love for his recently passed wife, Majorie Pay Hinkley. Those who are familiar with Sister Hinkley remember her joyous and fun outlook on life which, I think, was the catullus to her to clever and keen sense of humor. So in telling about Sister Hinkley, President Hinkley shared an anecdote from a conversation that he and his wife had a few years back. He said that he would wake up in the morning feeling a new pain or ache and she would cheerfully say "it's your age boy!"


So today I have been working on Halloween Costumes for the children all day, at one point Tobias was walking out the back door when I stood and stretched a bit and stated that my shoulders and neck were getting really stiff and tired. He poked his head back in the door and without missing a beat said, "it's your age girl!" Then went outside and shut the door. He made me laugh, then he made me think - it probably really is my age.

No comments: