Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Things are about as good as you decide . .

Some of you may wonder why our families blog is titled "It's a Great Life." Well, we have a great life - that's why. Not because nothing difficult happens in our family, but because of a conscience decision to say it is great and believe it.

We all know people who focus on the negative. I actually have a book that has labeled them "Negaholics." Those people who have something wrong in their lives no matter when you ask them. When you show up to work Monday morning and ask them how they are doing, the very best they can say is "Not bad for a Monday" and then you walk away relieved, 'cause it could have been so much worse.

Well, I don't want a "not bad" life. I choose for things to be GREAT! So I say they are great. I have a friend that always makes an excuse for me to be great. I will ask her how she is doing and she will just sigh and say, "you know . . ." Then when she asks me and I tell her I am great, she usually says, "of course you are, you just got a great new job" or "you just got married" or whatever my latest good news is.

Last week, not too long after my job ended, I ran into her . Kerry and I had been trying to figure out what to do about our finances and had begun to come to the conclusion that we would probably loose the house in QC (she had no idea about any of that). She asked me how I was and I said "fantastic." Then she said, "well of course, you are still a newlywed with a great new family." Isn't that funny?

For everyone who is waiting around for perfect circumstances so they can also have a great life,quit waiting and decide to be grateful. There are plenty of things to be glad about. I have a great life and I think if you will look carefully - so do you!

I can't help thinking of one of my favorite President Gordon B. Hinckley quotes:

"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around and shouting that he has been robbed. The fact of the matter is that most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey...delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."


Words to live by.

10 comments:

Marlena said...

I am so glad you have a blog! I love reading it! I have to tell you something funny. A couple days ago we got our family pictures back and I wasn't pleased with the largest one. (It was retouched so much it looked like J.Paul and I just had about 10 treatments of Botox). I was going over in my mind what I would say to them when I called to tell them I wasn't pleased with the picture. The first thing that came to my mind was "We thought the pictures were absolutely lovely except...". Then I thought of your post and had to laugh. Needless to say, I figured out a different way to say it. See, your brainwashing even works over the internet.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, you probably don't remember me. I am J.Paul's mom, Marlena's MIL. I love stalking your blog, please forgive me. I have wanted to leave a comment so many times, but didn't think I should. But, this post was even better than some other great ones and I have to let you know how much I enjoying reading your thoughts, and about your life. Mar told me that she and her sister used to have so much fun with you when they were little girls. I too am happy that you have a blog and share your words to live by.

It's a great life! said...

Marlena,

Thanks for the note. I am glad I can say something of substance once in a while. Mostly, I feel like I am just ranting! You totally made me laugh about the pictures. Who is the idiot that retouched you and J.Paul? You are two of the best looking people I know!

It's a great life! said...

Glenda,
Of course I remember you. Thank you for your comment. Please feel free to "stalk my blog anytime." If it is of any benefit - all the better.

kelly said...

oh girl....you KILL me!! why is it everytime i have an "ah-ha" moment, you have it before i do??...huh, huh, huh?? that is crazy! i think we were separated at birth or something.

and yes, yes, YES!!!...you are absolutely right (oh mighty wise one)...EVERYBODY has "stuff", but it's what we "do" with it and how we "see" it that makes the difference. i say, if you want more good in your life, you have to do more good. if you want more love in your life, then give more love to others...and so on (you get my point...and i know you're laughing at me right now as you read this, cuz you find the humor in everything)! one of your many wonderful qualities. :)

so...i'll try to be a little more "fantastic" and a little less "frantic"...hahha, maybe i was born to be a poet...??? NOT!!!!!!!!

you rock!

lelu said...

Lisa, I love this! I was just talking with a friend about this very thing. What a blessing it is to have the agency to choose how we act, react, or feel about our circumstances. I wish more people understood how much better life can be when we CHOOSE to be HAPPY!
You do have a GREAT life! I do too! Love you girl!

It's a great life! said...

Kelly,

I do think it is funny that the same morning I typed this, we had this exact conversation. You should probably stay out of my head, it is a dangerous place.

Lisa

It's a great life! said...

Lelu -

Thanks for the comment. We do have great lives! I love you too.

Cousin Lisa

kelly said...

lisa,

i TOLD you...we SHARE a brain. silly girl! hehehe :)

what's up with that? maybe there was a shortage or something...hmm, i still think we were separated at birth.

It's a great life! said...

I always knew half my brain is missing, now I know where it is.