Monday, January 5, 2009

True Friends Appreciate Their Differences

Today in Relief Society the lesson was about being a friend. Certainly, that is a subject that is apt to make one consider many of the amazing blessings in one’s life. As several of the women spoke about people who had been good friends to them it made me think of many who have blessed my life; my husband and children, parents, siblings, special cousins, aunts and uncles, and certainly many who are outside of my family (come on, don’t make me name names, you know who you are). Truly I have been blessed with an abundance of people in my life who I love and trust. I am grateful.

Then someone stood up and spoke of a close friend who had touched her life for good and ended her thoughts with this statement. “True friends appreciate their differences.” Wow! That rang true with me. While I am sure there are many that fit in this category, it made me think of only one person - my friend Nancy. Certainly we are different, but our similar core values make us able to employ these differences in a way that is both useful and uplifting. Often she sees things differently than I do, and I can go to her to get a better perspective on things. Well, at that point I was lost in my own thoughts and can not remember another word that was spoken in Relief Society, a bad habit that I really am trying to overcome. I spent the remainder of the meeting trying to figure out what makes Nancy’s perspective so valuable to me. Or in other words, why do some peoples differences make me shy away from their “advice” and the differences that Nancy and I have make me seek out her opinion. The answer is quite simple - Nancy is a true friend, in every possible way. Here is a list of things about Nancy that make her a true friend, and things that I am going to try to get better at so that I can be a better friend to everyone in my life.


"A friend is someone who knows the song of your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words"


1. She listens: She listens to my words lets me finish before she begins speaking. She listens to my heart and knows where my words are coming from and then speaks more to my feelings than my words.
2. She is unselfish: Nancy’s opinion about my decisions NEVER includes what is best for Nancy. In fact she is better than anyone else at separating her feelings from my decisions. Sometimes she says things like, “You know what I would want you to do, but this isn’t about me” Aaaah, refreshing.
3. She never tries to lead me away from my center: Nancy and I are not the same denomination, but we are both Christian and share the same perspective on every aspect of the Gospel that we have discussed (at least I think so) She is pure in heart and wants to stay close to the Lord and wants to help the people she knows stay close the Lord also. She would never encourage me to do something that would take me farther away from the spirit.
4. Nancy is happy: Have you ever noticed that happy people want the people around them to be happy and miserable people . . . well you get where that goes. One day a coworker of mine, who didn’t know Nancy but, knew of my friendship with her said to me, “Have you ever noticed how Nancy can brighten someone’s day just by saying hello to them?” Well it is because she is happy and she exudes positivity.
5. She is trust worthy: When Nancy gives me her word, I don’t have to wonder if she means it. I can share things with her that I am not ready to tell the rest of the world, because I know she will keep my confidence. I can do business with her because I know she will be honest and fair.

So, I have decided that I am going to try to be more like Nancy. My friend, if you read this, please know of my gratitude for your friendship and example. You are wonderful.

4 comments:

Nancy Reynolds said...

Lisa,

All I can say is WOW! I truly believe you see more in me than I see in myself. But we have had similiar conversations and you know I thank God for limited vision to make sure I stay in His will and not think more of myself than I should. As I was reading your message, I could have easily placed your name in place of mine (you just expressed it in words more eloquently than I could ever imagine).

I am grateful for your friendship that is never judgemental, self-serving, or self-righteous. You allow me to be...me! And that's no easy task. I don't need to hide, explain or justify our differences which makes it easy to build our relationship on our common core values which is the foundation of our growing friendship. I value our friendship so much, I have shared things with you that I have never shared with my family. Mostly because you allow me to share without feeling as if you need to fix my situation...you allow me to find my own way without guiding me your way, even if it is the same way.

I am flattered that you want to be a friend like me, but I offer this to you...let us both be a friend to each other as Christ is a friend to us. Love you...your friend and sister in Christ.

Nancy

Jana said...

Lisa,

Thank you for that valuable insight! I always knew you were wise and am grateful that you would share that wisdom! Nancy is lucky to have you as much as you are to have her! Thank you both for your example.

Love you!

Jana

Marlena said...

I obviously don't know Nancy but am glad you have a friend like her. It's such a blessing to have great friends!

Lisa Deets said...

Wow! I can see why you love her so much! And I agree that when you talk about Nancy it is always positive!